Pre-employment qualification for people who are entering the hospitality industry in a range of basic positions.
NCEA Vocational Pathway in Hospitality- Level 2
NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident
Kelston, Papakura, Mangere
Zero Fees* (conditions apply).
The purpose of this vocational pathways programme is to gain NCEA level 2. Students complete 10 credits of Numeracy, and 10 credits of Literacy at level 1 or above. In addition, students gain 60 credits of unit standards covering hospitality including food preparation. This programme is an introduction to careers in hospitality.
- Food safety practices in the hospitality industry
- Safe working practices in the hospitality sector
- Preparation of hot and cold beverages including espresso coffee
- Providing table service
- Preparing fruit and vegetable cuts and salads
- Preparing food by frying, baking, poaching, boiling, steaming, grilling and roasting
- Preparing and presenting basic sandwiches
- Preparing jams
- Domestic students only; NZ citizens or permanent residents.
- Students must be 16 years of age or over.
- Prospective enrolees will undergo an interview to gauge their interest, readiness and potential to benefit from the programme.
- There may be further restrictions when this course is offered under a Tertiary Education Commission contract.
This qualification can lead on to: the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3), the New Zealand Certificate in Accommodation (Level 3) with strands in Housekeeping, Pottering, and Reception, New Zealand Certificate in Catering Services (Level 3), or the New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (Level 3) with strands in Cafe Services, Bar Services, Restaurant Services, Buffet Services, Functions Services, Barista, and Quick Service Restaurant Services.
This qualification can lead to supervised entry level roles in the hospitality industry like service personnel, baristas or kitchen hands.