This qualification is suitable for those who wish to pursue a career as an exercise consultant or a personal trainer. Fees Free (conditions apply).
New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4)
40 weeks (part-time)
NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident
Kelston, Papakura, North Shore, Mangere
Fees free for eligible domestic students or $3,060.00
The purpose of this qualification is to provide recognition of the skills and knowledge required to provide business with people who have attained a broad understanding of the core concepts and practical skills in exercise instruction for individuals within the general population.
Graduates from this programme will have the specific skills and knowledge and awareness to adapt and deliver appropriate exercise programmes and will have knowledge of exercise training principles and concepts.
This programme will also afford the graduate an opportunity to be eligible to register with the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS).
Principles of Exercise
- Applying knowledge of the skeletal system, muscular system, cardio-respiratory system, nervous system and biomechanics to adapt exercises to enable the delivery of safe and effective exercise programmes to individuals.
Health, Wellness and Nutrition
- Supporting personalised individual exercise programmes through applying a health and wellness framework and evidence-based nutrition principles.
- Recommending referral pathways to allied health professionals for individuals.
- Applying motivational behaviour and arousal theory techniques to enhance individual participants commitment to a personalised exercise programme.
- Adapting Programmes to meet Individual Needs
- Adapting programmes for apparently healthy adults, older adults, children and those with disabilities or illness using exercise science and testing.
- Applying communication techniques to enhance individual participant commitment to a personalised exercise programme.
Delivering Safe and Effective Programmes
- Pre-screening individuals and delivering safe and effective exercise programmes within own scope of practice and industry code of ethics.
- Using business and marketing tools and techniques to support business practices as an exercise professional.
- Students must be 16 years of age or over.
- It is desirable that the student has previously gained the New Zealand Certificate in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Multi-Sector) (Level 3) or equivalent skills and knowledge.
- An interest in fitness industry as determined through an interview process would be an advantage.
- There may be further restrictions when this course is offered under a Tertiary Education Commission contract
- This qualification provides a pathway to, and is a prerequisite for, the New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 5) [Ref: 3564]. This qualification shares some common competencies with the New Zealand Certificate in Freestyle Group Exercise (Level 4) [Ref: 3565] which may be used by learners to expand their skill and knowledge base.
- Graduates can be employed or self-employed in roles such as: exercise consultant, community exercise instructor, team training instructor or personal trainer.
2020- March, May, July, September
2020- February, April, June, July, September, November
2020- March, June
What are the benefits
Learn to become a personal trainer. Test your client’s fitness, strength, flexibility, endurance, body composition and basic nutrition, enabling you to prescribe and adapt a safe and effective exercise programme to meet any individual’s needs.
Research, analyse and develop a business plan that will suit your target market. Manage and market your clients and become a leader in your field of work.
Study can be undertaken either full-time or part-time, allowing for flexible study around your work and home commitments.
"He likes to thank skills update admin staff and tutors for believing him and swears that education is the passport to the future where Kildare's goal is to enter the workforce in 2020 and regain his life back."