This programme is designed for young learners to develop on the skills gained from BCATS (level 1) programme. Study full-time and learn the basics of building and construction. Usually studied in conjunction with Level 1.
National Certificate in Building, Construction and Allied Trades Skills (Level 2)
17 weeks full time
NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident
Kelston, Papakura, Mangere
The programme is aimed at young people who want to learn intermediary building and construction skills. The programme focuses on developing carpentry skills through intermediate projects like timber deck and fence. The programme has a practical, hands-on focus designed to prepare people for employment in entry-level positions, or for further study opportunities.
Course content includes:
• Hand tools
• Portable power tools
• Safe working practices in a building and construction workplace
• Receiving instructions and communicating information for projects
• Quality checking
• Minor concrete works
• Building a basic residential fence and gate
• Building a spaced residential timber deck up to one metre high
• NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident.
• 16-19 years of age at the time of commencing study.
• Not hold NCEA level 2 or similar qualifications.
• Enrolment is also subject to an interview process.
• Limited spaces might be available for eligible adult learners, contact us for more information.
The qualification could lead to the New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) or an apprenticeship.
Graduates may wish to enter into trade related employment or a modern apprenticeship.
2020- May, July, September, November
2020- April, June, August, October
What are the benefits
This level 2 programme is designed to build skills relevant to the construction and building industry. Learning is based around intermediary building projects such as residential timber fences, to help develop skills and knowledge required to progress in the industry.
This programme starts you on your journey towards being a builder or carpenter, and there are many job opportunities in the booming construction industry.
This is a full-time programme that runs Monday to Friday, helping to prepare you for entering the workforce or further studies once you graduate. Increase your skills, employability, and paycheck as you progress sequentially from Level 1 to 3.
Eligible youth learners will have access to additional support like travel allowances, safety gear and uniforms.
“My dreams come true. I am learning in a fun and friendly environment.”