Graduates of this course will be capable of effectively undertaking a range of basic roles in a building, construction and allied trades situation.
National Certificate in Building, Construction and Allied Trades Skills – Level 1
NZ Citizen or Permanent Resident
Zero Fees*( conditions apply)
Graduates of this course will be capable of effectively undertaking a range of basic roles in a building, construction and allied trades situation. Specific knowledge and skills gained will include safe working practices, workshop procedures and processes, and knowledge of construction and manufacturing materials. They will also select and prepare all materials, do basic measurements and calculations, identify, select, maintain and use the appropriate hand tools enabling them to construct basic projects to Industry standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and apply safe working practices in the construction of a BCATS project
- Identify, select, maintain and use hand tools for BCATS projects
- Demonstrate knowledge of construction and manufacturing materials used in BCATS projects
- Construct timber garden furniture and items of basic construction equipment as a BCATS project
- Apply elementary workshop procedures and processes for BCATS projects
- Use hardware and fastenings for a BCATS project
- Read texts with understanding
- Use number to solve problems
- Use measurement to solve problems
- Entry into this course is open.
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or over and be able to demonstrate that their Literacy and Numeracy levels show a readiness to succeed in this course.
- There may be further restrictions when this course is offered under a Tertiary Education Commission contract.
This qualification can lead to National Certificate in Building, Construction, and Allied Trades Skills (Level 2) or the New Zealand Certificate in Building, Construction, and Allied Trades Skills (Level 2).
Graduates can enter supervised entry level roles in the building, construction and allied trade sector.